I remember hearing that phrase throughout my life. It's not at all applicable to my current day, but I'm using it anyway.
It's 73 degrees out, sunny, just a few clouds in the sky that appear as though they were purposely painted in their exact shape and location for optimal effect against the blue sky. The only sounds in our neighborhood are the laughter of distant children playing.. and me, hollering at my lawnmower.
In the name of being green and frugal, we decided our small yard needed nothing more than a human powered reel mower to keep it looking decent. So, we put down a hard-to-scrape-up $80 last summer and bought one that was rated ok. At first, it cut beautifully. And as an added bonus, we would get a nice workout (by 'we', I mean 'Seth' as I don't go outdoors when it's hot). Now, it's primary function is to fold the grass over, giving the illusion of a trimmed lawn for about half an hour. We can't really justify buying another reel mower, so now we get to see which part of my ever-widening behind holds the magical funds to buy an electric mower.
Our reasons for electric are simple and few: We're not 'fill up the gas can' people. Gas is stinky, I don't want it stored near the house, and I'm not a fan of inconvenient things. And our weed whacker is electric, so we already have the big green outdoor extension cord.
So, today marks the decision to continue folding the grass, hoping in vain for a few patches to be cut, or to use our credit card and purchase a mower. I had intended to use that to buy us bikes (to be paid off completely in July), but this seems more pressing that bike rides through the park. We can always walk in the park.
Hey girl! I'm not online much these days but wanted to complement your new blog, I've already bookmarked some of the frugal stuff... as frugal as I *like* to be, I'm not very creative and really slow to try new things like making my own detergent, new ways of cooking, etc..
ReplyDeleteHope everything in NY is great, despite the not perfectly manicured lawn =)