Monday, June 11, 2012
Yet Another Horrific OB-GYN experience
I was referred by my OB-GYN to a physician an hour away from where we live for an ultrasound. Seth, my sister in law, son and I drove there this morning for the appointment. When the doctor came into the office, he greeted us and then started asking general questions about my health and so on.
He began to ask about my recent diabetes diagnosis. I explained that I was controlling my glucose levels with diet. When I mentioned my fasting numbers, which are admittedly higher than should be, he told me I needed to be on medication. I refused, and explained a condition I have that causes that, and that I was pretty sure what was happening. He snapped "No. It's not (name of the condition). I'll call your doctor and tell them to prescribe you (whatever the drug's name is)." Even though I had refused the drug. He then went on to berate me for not wanting to take a medication that I know causes severe nausea and vomiting for me from past experience. I finally 'agreed' to take the medication just so he would stop scaring me.
Then he asked me if I smoked. I said yes, that I had cut down to 1/3 of the amount prior to getting pregnant and was planning to quit completely. He said, ver batim "Yeah ok. If you smoke, you're going to miscarry and your baby is going to die, or you're going to give birth to a stillborn baby. You'll get lung cancer and die. Your children are going to grow up to be smokers, get lung cancer and die. How much did your first child weigh?" When I answered him, he said I was "lucky" my first son wasn't dead or born too small. I was tearing up and all choked up by that point.
I finally asked him just what the purpose of the visit was since I was scheduled for just an ultrasound. We were finally escorted into the ultrasound room. My son threw a huge tantrum, so my husband and sister in law took him for a walk. I was crying because of what the doctor said. When the doctor came in, he snapped "What is your problem?" at me really loudly. I told him nothing. While he was prepping for the ultrasound, still crying I said "I really am trying to quit smoking." And he responded "You won't quit."
During the ultrasound, he tried to get me to have testing done to check for down syndrome and other birth defects. I had already refused the testing with my regular OB-GYN and told him so. He kept repeating over and over that I NEEDED to do the test because I was not caring about my baby if I didn't do it. I tried to explain that if my child had a birth defect, it wouldn't change anything and I'd love the child just the same. He kind of sneered at me and said I HAD to get the testing done. He kept badgering me until I told him that IF I decided I wanted it, I would refer to my regular OB-GYN.
At a minimum, I've contacted an attorney and will be contacting the state medical board tomorrow. Everything he did is listed under professional misconduct. I just want him to be made aware, from the department that can strip his license, that he cannot intimidate, berate, humiliate, and scare patients.
So tomorrow I'll be letting my regular OB know that they can either refer me somewhere local for my ultrasounds and the like, or I'm finding a new provider.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow. That is a horrible doctor!
ReplyDelete