Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Hide Your Veggies: Picky Eater Edition

I think every household has that one adorable thorn in its side. The picky eater. This person would usually live on chicken nuggets and some form of potato if they were allowed to. They balk at many foods, but mainly VEGETABLES! RAWR!

How do I deal with a picky eater? My solution is simple: If you don't want what I've prepared ,you have two options. Make yourself a bowl of cereal, or go hungry. I try to cook healthy, delicious meals. Anyone who doesn't want to eat them doesn't have to, but I bet you'll be hungry come breakfast time.

I try not to make foods with ingredients my husband doesn't like. He (and I) dislike mushrooms, he doesn't care for raw tomatoes, and I don't care for raw onions or peppers. We're not fans of fish, okra, or fresh spinach. So I don't make meals with those things. The baby doesn't care for cauliflower, so I don't try to feed it to him. I'll try again in a couple months.

Here's the issue for some people though: They have a family member or spouse who doesn't like vegetables, or fresh fruit, or whatever other entire group of food. If Seth was against eating an entire food group, the only option I'd see fit was making 2 separate dinners. But not ME making two separate meals. If he doesn't want to eat the delicious meal I've made, he can cook his own food. I'm not a short order cook, and I'm not sacrificing the nutritional needs of my kids because he's a big baby. ;-)

A parent with extremely picky tastes with no real reason is setting their children up to be picky eaters. If all you eat are steak and mashed potatoes, you're setting your kids up to be obese, diabetic, and nutritionally deficient. This can affect how their growing brains and bodies function. Seriously. Am I harsh? You betcha. But seriously, being a big baby is not setting a good example for our kids.




Not everyone is willing to take that direct approach, so there's a few options for you too.

1- Make your eaters eat half a serving of whatever food group they're refusing. ("If you eat half your beans/peas/carrots, I'll leave you alone, BUT, you don't get any more helpings of anything else unless you eat the entire veggie serving.")
2- Enlist your spouse to help show the kids that food x is delicious. If your spouse is the picky eater, I like my household option up above there.
3- Hide 'em! Puree a bag of frozen mixed veggies and put it in your pasta sauce. Or in your meatloaf or meatballs. Mashed potatoes can have cooked cauliflower mixed in and no one will know the difference.
4- Try to find out what the issue is. If someone doesn't like the flavor of the broccoli you're putting in a casserole, ask them to help you decide on a suitable substitute. They don't like kidney bean chili? Try a creamy chicken and white bean version. They're going to have to start eating like a normal person who is appreciative of the food placed in front of them. They'll need to make a list of foods they're willing to eat that is reasonable for you to prepare, and nutritous.
5- When all else fails, cook for you! I make homemade mac and cheese and many other casseroles with not ah int of veggies in it. Then I'll make a veggie I like on the side. I love green beans, so I cook them for me. Seth doesn't like them very much, so he doesn't eat any. When Liam gets old enough to notice Daddy not eating his veggies, Seth will be choking down those green beans, to set a good example, whether he likes it or not. ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Miranda! Luckily my kids share my love of food and will eat most anything. I worry about my husband but he says all veggies taste like dirt and won't budge on trying anything new. I will have to puree some veggies in the sauce and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that your kids are cool with eating varied foods. :-) I've fed Seth a bowl of cereal for dinner on more than one occasion, lol. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a rule that you have to taste everything on the plate at every meal. You just have to stick it in your mouth, and yes you can spit it out, but you have to taste it or your entire plate is removed. The kids are free to raid the fridge and make their own dinner if they don't like what I've made, but they can't ask for an adult's help and they have to clean up completely after themselves. They never choose this option, though, probably because a Momma-cooked meal is so much easier. If Matt or I aren't happy with the meal, we taste everything, and then later he'll grill himself a chicken breast or I'll make myself a bowl of yogurt and granola. Because Matt's pork chops? Yuck!

    ReplyDelete