One of the biggest household expenses we all use is laundry detergent. I made a batch of dry detergent today that averages out to about a penny per load.
Ingredients:
2c washing soda (found in nearly any laundry aisle)
2c borax (usually located right next to the washing soda)
3/4 bar Fels-Naptha laundry bar, grated (found next to the borax and washing soda)
1c baking soda
1/2c off-brand Oxyclean
Optional: 1oz essential oil of your choice (this will jack the price, and I don't need any more scent that the bar offers)
Mix all of this up into whatever container you like. Use about 2T per load of clothes. The 1/4 bar of laundry bar left can be used to pre-treat stains and will last about as long as the batch of detergent does.
With the containers of supplies I bought, I can make about 4 batches of detergent with just needing to buy the laundry bar again. The laundry bar can be substituted with Ivory soap, or whatever bar soap of your choosing, but do that at your own risk.
If you use this detergent, please add 1/2c white vinegar to your rinse cycle, as you should be doing anyway.
If you use this on cloth diapers, you may notice that you need to strip your diapers more frequently. I try to strip my diapers about every 8 weeks anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment