Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

No Grocery Shopping: Week One

Well, we didn't exactly stick to not buying any food this week. We bought a dozen eggs, 2 bottles of soda, and a coffee cake to take when we visited friends on Sunday. I would have baked, but it was 90 degrees, and we don't cool the kitchen. So, I spent $7 on groceries for the week. Our neighbor also gifted us a half dozen organic, farm fresh eggs, and told me to stop by any time I'd like more as she gets them free from a friend at church and ends up with more than she can use. On Tuesday, it was up over 90, and after not being all home all day, I was in no mood to cook. so we took advantage of a deal at Pizza Hut and ordered a pizza. that was definitely not in the plan, but I figured with buying pretty much no groceries, buying a single pizza wouldn't harm anything.

So, what did we eat? Breakfasts consist of toast and eggs, toast with peanut butter, leftovers from dinner, oatmeal with real maple syrup or brown sugar, fried potatoes with onion and bacon.. basically whatever we feel like throwing together to eat. Seth generally doesn't eat breakfast (naughty, naughty) and I go for whatever I can throw together with a baby on my hip, so the more in depth dishes are saved for the weekends.

Saturday:
Lunch was a PB&J sandwich for Seth, and a chicken cold cuts sandwich for me.
Dinner was a delicious stir fry made with frozen mixed vegetables, green beans, grilled chicken strips, and about 3T of a premade stir fry sauce.

Sunday:
Breakfast was some leftover Cheerios cereal bars I made last week.
Lunch was sandwiches also. PB&J for Seth, chicken for me.
Dinner was putrid, and a fail. I followed this recipe for breaded noodles and choked down a bowl of noodles covered in sawdust. Even adding some extra butter, and even some sour cream couldn't seem to add any moisture. The leftovers were refrigerated nonetheless and reclaimed in a completely different dish on Monday.

Monday:
Breakfast was eggs and toast for Seth, and nothing for me. I was not hungry.
Lunch was resurrected breaded noodles that became a pretty good mac and cheese.
For dinner, I made angel hair pasta with grilled chicken, butter, spices, and Parmesan cheese, and green beans.

Tuesday:
We were rushed and skipped breakfast.
Lunch was sandwiches.
Dinner was pizza.

Wednesday:
Breakfast was toast with peanut butter for me, and my naughty husband skipped breakfast.
Lunch was leftover pizza.
Dinner was mock pan steak, done with ground beef, onions, flour, spices, and potatoes.

Thursday:
I honestly cannot remember Thursday. I was still under sedation from a procedure I had done. I'm pretty sure Seth made me Ramen and a hamburger for dinner though.

Friday:
Seth had a sandwich for lunch.
Dinner was a chicken and beef enchilada soup. I pretty much threw enchilada fixings and some veggies, rice, potato, and spices into a pot and let it simmer.

Saturday:
For lunch, Seth's grandmother made us pizza at her house.
Dinner was leftover soup.

Sunday:
Breakfast was cornbread with maple syrup.
Lunch was macaroni salad, sandwiches, and some chips.
Dinner was leftover soup over cornbread.

We did go grocery shopping today, mainly for coffee filters. But while there, we did pick up a few things that I don't plan to use until after my two week pantry cleanout is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment