When Seth and I got married, we eloped. Considering we'd only been dating for barely over 3 months, it seemed the best choice to run off, get married, and *then* tell our families. I don't recommend it for everyone, but it's worked for us.
So, this summer is our 3 year wedding anniversary. I decided it was time we have a wedding. Smack dab in the middle of a major debt reduction plan. So, we have a very skimpy budget. Here's how we plan to pull this off:
Location:
We live in a village of cottages, built by an amazing contractor who had an idea to build a storybook village. Where we live Part of his design is a beautiful meeting house, equipped with tables, chairs, seating area, bathroom, full kitchen, and exercise room. It has many uses, but he also lets residents use it for private functions. Our cost for the location for our wedding: $0. We'll be doing just a small ceremony outside. I may invest in one of those bridal trellis things.. or not. Since it'll be mid-August, we may just go out, having a standing ceremony, then go back in where it's cool. :-)
Dress:
This is the dress I chose. But, I'm also going to be scouring eBay and thrift stores. My sister knows of one up near her that has tons of wedding dresses. The current cost for the dress is $90, but I'm hoping to find something even cheaper. I may even make one!
Clothes for the 'wedding party':
My wedding party consists of Seth and Liam, our son. I have two dads, 4 sisters, 3 brothers. There's no way to have someone walk me anywhere, or stand up next to me without including everyone. So, I choose none. Seth can wear whatever he wants, and Liam is getting a mommy-made tuxedo t-shirt. Total cost: $6 for the tshirt and fabric pen.
Officiant:
Seth's cousin married us the first time, and I'm asking him to do it again. Cost:$0.
Cake/Food/Decor/Favors:
The cake will be a carrot cake. Two tiers, with handmade sparrows and stars in gum paste. As I have pro cake making experience, I'll be making it. We'll also be doing cupcakes with the same theme. Cost: about $35-40, but some of this is for gum paste molds I'll be keeping and see as an investment.
My sisters, mother and I will make all the food. We're doing typical BBQ fare! The dads will man the grills and do chicken, burgers, hot dogs, veggie packets, and some black bean burgers. Us ladies will do salt potatoes, roasted produce from my parents' garden, salads (green, and pasta), fruit cups, cheese/cracker/veg trays, and anything else we decide at that time to do. Drinks will be iced tea, lemonade, minted ice water and coffee. No pop. It's expensive, and I'm not buying 15 different varieties to please everyone. Total estimated food cost: $100.
Booze.... this one is still undecided. I'm not sure if we're going to just buy a bunch of beer and inexpensive wine, or what exactly. Anyone coming is driving at least an hour to get here. I'm putting a tentative number of $100 on this.
Decor and favors are lumped into one. The flatware will also be the wedding favors, and the decor! We're doing bamboo fork, knife, and spoon sets and because we're getting so many, without the cases, we're getting a great wholesale deal. I'll just tie a pretty ribbon around the sets that I've used a fabric marker to put our names and the date on. These will be tucked into mason jars (I have dozens) on the tables along with some flowers and whatever else I can grab from nature for free (branches with inedible berries, dried branches, etc). I'll be buying a canvas drop cloth and cutting it into strips for table runners. We'll be using biodegradable plates and bowls, and possibly cups too if I can find them. If not, plastic cups. The meeting house is lit by huge paper lanterns, so I'm actually not doing any other decor than what's on the tables. Total cost: approx. $110.
Invitations:
We're doing the traditional save the date cards, as well as invites with rsvp cards. I'm doing a kind of retro tattoo flash theme for those. I'm still pricing those out, but I believe if I design them completely
myself and have them printed at Kinko's or Staples, I can get away with it for about $100.
So, $446 for a wedding with 30 guests, $546 if we serve alcohol. I don't think that's a bad deal at all. And I'll be working on cutting the expenses even more. Pricey weddings baffle me. People are coming for the free booze and food. I know it. You know it. I just prefer my guest be able to wear flip flops and tank tops to come eat my food. ;-)
The only thing I haven't figured out yet is photos and stuff. I'd like professional photos, but the only photographer I know is my bff, moving out of state, and if she could come- I'd want her having FUN, not lugging 87 pounds of camera equipment. I considered those wedding disposables.. no. Bad photos + unnecessary expense = irritated me. My plan now is to either hire someone for cheap, barter for it, or ask family members and friends to bring their digitals and have at it.
So, what do you think? Any ideas to cut costs down even further?
Your bff could totally have fun *and* lug around her 87lbs of camera gear :) I'm really glad you guys are finally doing this! You very much deserve this.
ReplyDeleteYou're so cute. :-) I hope you can make it back up for it.
ReplyDelete