Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Kicked out of school! (YES! Really!)

So, I got informed yesterday that I was being dropped from my academic program. Why? Because LAST TERM I didn't complete enough credits to fulfill my school's requirements. It was nice of them to tell me 18 weeks later, when I'm already participating in this terms classes. The dean has the ability to overstep policy on a case by case basis and just issue me a warning that basically says to pass all registered classes and complete all remaining courses in a timely manner. I have seven courses left- and planned on 2 this term (with the baby), 3 in spring, and finish the last two in the summer.

The dean said no, student services won't help. I can't self pay because 1- we can't afford it, and 2- they won't let me enroll until I win an appeal- that I can't even pursue until November. I can't go to a different college because this academic suspension basically turns off my eligibility for financial aid until my school says I'm ok to return to classes.

How did this happen? No one bothered to actually send me the written warning, as per college policy, that this was going to be an issue. In fact, I specifically asked about this last term and was told my student services and my advisor that my academic progress and financial aid would NOT be affected, AT ALL, by me needing to withdraw from a curse last term. Apparently, that was a huge load of shit.

Also, had they told me last term- I could have taken CLEP exams (exams that show you have the knowledge the class taught), or credit by evaluation (same thing almost- you write one bigass paper) for 4 classes I KNOW I would have passed- and then taken the final 3 courses this term! But since no one gave me the warning that is school policy to give, that is no longer an option.

Oh, and the big EFF YOU! I am sitting on $400 worth of books that I applied towards my financial aid to pay for. So I owe the goddamn school for those! Resale value for the entire lot- $50. For brand new, never been opened books.

So, I get to spend the fall 2012 term twiddling my thumbs and eating up my loan deferment. Then trying to convince them to let me finish my degree. I guess it'll give me a lot of time to work on our bare bones budget, figure out how to cheaply provide for the babies, and crochet? Felt some wool? Stare at the wall? I spend a lot of time with Liam (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) but he likes his independent time....

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment