There's been some big changes around the Jacobs house since the new year. Mostly related to how we eat.
But, we also have completely paid off 4 of our 9 debts, leaving only 4 credit cards and the car to pay off- which we should be able to do by the end of summer. So, go us.
Right now we're waiting back on an email to see if we can break our lease. We found an amazing (and cheap) rental property that's only about ten miles further from Seth's work, but a little closer to another town where we'd do our shopping and whatnot. It's on a seasonal road, but the landlord owns the surrounding 65 acres and keeps the road plowed. And in rent alone, we'll save $775/MONTH. Plus, with it being all one story, no more of having an ice cold downstairs and 90 degrees or better upstairs. Last winter, we tried using the upstairs bedroom. We were sleeping with the window open because it was so flipping hot. Imagine getting snowed on while you're sleeping, and still sweating because it's so hot. These houses are cute, and energy efficient. But, heat distribution? Pffft.
So, back to the food.
I'll be honest, the going vegetarian/vegan change has been slow moving. Frankly, newborns are exhausting and a turkey sandwich is the easiest thing I know how to make. I have completely stopped using eggs, and am only eating meat myself about 3x a week.
We watched an amazing movie on Netflix called "Hungry For Change", which is a follow up to "Food Matters". I highly recommend both- and if I recall, they are both easily found on YouTube and other sites- including a digital rental on Amazon. So, after watching those, we decided to give green smoothies and clean eating a try. What is clean eating? In very basic terms: food without added bullshit. Eating your food as it comes from the ground (or animal, what have you). It's giving your body the fuel to work as efficiently as possible, with the best intake as possible.
Breastfed babies sometimes go a week without pooping. That's because breast milk is the perfect food for them and they truly do break it down and use most of it. Older humans need to learn to do the same with what they eat. If we eat the best foods, with the best nutrition, we are giving our bodies exactly what they need. Though I would feel weird only pooping once a week if it went that way.
So, how are we applying this idea to this household?
We stopped buying processed foods aside from the following:
1 box of pasta - I can make my own, but I'm tired. So, it'll happen. Just not this week.
Cold cuts - Again, I can roast chicken and turkey for sandwiches. And I will.
This weekend was Liam's birthday party, so we did go ahead and buy frozen pizzas and some chips.
We are also still buying milk and butter, but have stopped buying/using eggs. I do plan to phase out milk and cheese, but they're basically their own food groups for Liam, so this will take time. In the meantime, we are buying organic of both.
So- what ARE we eating?
Green smoothies. I'll admit- we don't eat nearly enough veggies. And that needs to change. So, green smoothies are the bridge to that. Our recipes are basic. 1-2 cups greens. 1 frozen banana. 1/2-1 cup assorted fruit. 1/2 cup water. Then either chia or flax seeds, or nut butters. And a heaping tablespoon of coconut oil. So, that's breakfast.
Lunches are equally as simple. I pull out a bigass tub of cut veggies, some hummus, and the fixings for sandwiches/lettuce wraps.
Dinners will be a protein, starch, and veg. For example, tonight we had chicken alfredo done up with spinach and artichoke. Tomorrow will be steak (for Seth and Liam, fish for me), baked potatoes, and broccoli with sauce. Days when I'm not hungry, it'll be a raw V8 smoothie.
Things here are looking up. :-) I love a good upward trend.
Good for you! Paying down half of your debt accounts is admirable. I myself would like to see our menus fit a more Clean Eating (and raw lifestyle).
ReplyDelete