My new year has been off to great start. As of last Monday, I've (so far) adopted a completely vegan lifestyle... almost. I have two things that make me not fit within the parameters. However, I don't eat any animal products.. so I wouldn't say I'm vegetarian either.
Honey and wool. For me, adopting a vegan way of life is about the prevention of the mistreatment of animals. In my eyes, "Stealing" honey from bees does not harm them. In fact, I feel it promotes a plant-based diet by causing those little buzzy bees to go out and pollenate to resupply their honey. So, there's that.
I've seen sheep. On farms. Who supply wool. I don't feel a hair cut is mistreating them. Were they left to their own devices, the matting and other issues than come from an unkempt sheep's coat is far worse than a trim seasonly.
I don't regularly use honey, and I don't own wool. I just don't see issue with either.
So I definitely don't fit the hardcore vegan mold, but eliminating my impact on the cruelty done to farm food animals has made me feel like a whole person. I have always been an activist for the treatment of dogs, namely pit bulls, and other domestic animals. I've decided that ALL animals deserve that same treatment.
Anywho. Here's a soup I threw together.
Super Soup
1 can each - black beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas
1 cup each, chopped- onion, carrots, kale/spinach, celery
1/2 cup each- wild rice, quinoa, barley
To taste- salt, pepper, garlic
6-8 cups water or vegetable stock
Crock pot on low for 6 hours.
If wanted, you can also add a cup or so of precooked, diced chicken or beef.
And here's baby photos! Haven is 6 weeks old today, and Liam turned 2 years old on January 6th. The top photo is Haven cracking a real smile, which he now does regularly. The bottom photo is in Liam's newly created play/nap room. We still do a family bedroom, but we do not cosleep with either child. I made Seth go down to a queen size mattress, and he hogs the entire thing, lol. So, Liam is in a toddler bed across the room, and Haven sleeps in his bassinet next to me. I love cosleeping. But as it turns out, Mama doesn't actually sleep when there's babies in the bed.
Excuse the short post! We've been down with this nasty flu for days.


No comments:
Post a Comment