Thursday, January 31, 2013
Confessions
One: I took "no poo" a bit too far.
I even stopped using soap to clean my body.
Nothing but baking soda to scrub me down in the shower. Strangely, it's been awesome! NO body odor, not even my underarms. No dry skin. No greasy skin. My face and shoulders have stopped breaking out. My feet aren't nearly as dry and cracked. It's like my body stopped freaking out and is just getting back to taking care of itself.
I think we forget that our skin is an organ. And aside from the physical scrubbing of a wash cloth to remove the dirt and grime of the day, we truly do not have to slather it in chemicals. I mean, do what you want, but I'm done with soaps and lotions. Baking soda, coconut oil if I need a little extra help, and that's it.
Two: Left to my own devices, I can ruin a budget. I cannot be trusted.
So, my plastic all stays home with husband when I go out unless it's a specific amount for a specific purchase. There's no willy nilly purchasing. There can't be. Because I'll overspend and ruin my meticulously put together budget. Next month, I have a very clearly defined budget with categories that are set up for cash spending. They include groceries, gas, and spending (mine, Seth's, house). That's easy enough. Since we're paid monthly, I'll pull it all out in one shot and set up the envelopes. I've found some great cash budget envelope systems on Etsy.com, but haven't bought one yet because I can't find one in fabric I like. So I'll be sticking with a method of labeling and sticking envelopes in my wallet.
Three: I'm secretly (ahem, WAS secretly) thrilled at the idea of getting a new (to us) car. We had planned to pay mine off and drive it for at least another year. Well, the transmission is starting to slip. We owe exactly what it's worth. So next month, it'll be traded in on something else. For something with a loan for about what we owe now. We'll use the tax return to pay the difference in cash. So it'll end up a few years newer vehicle, for what we're paying right now. Our plan doesn't change much. Just the vehicle, and how we planned to use the refund.
This is the last year we'll expect a refund. We'll be changing the W-4. Here's why:
I cannot recall a single thing we've used our big 'ol tax refund for. Aside from giving the government an interest free loan every year, we spent the money on bullshit. If your W-4 is done right, you should break even at year's end. Anyone who anticipates a large refund is doing it wrong. True, plain and simple.
We'll get back several thousand this year. I can sure think of ways a few hundred dollars "extra" monthly would completely change my budget and how quickly we pay off these debts.
It was to me, and might be to you, worth doing the IRS withholding calculator on their website and seeing if maybe you shouldn't make some changes in your own life and situation.
Four: I learned today that if I have a complete meltdown, a manicure and chair massage work wonders. Pricey? Yep. Did I need it? You betcha. I don't budget the hell out of us to be mean. I do it so I can go do things like that, and be able to afford it.
Have a great rest of the week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I will counter your tax statement that people just above the poverty line can do their w-4 correctly and still receive what is a sizeable return, that would be people with a Mortgage, Student Loan Payments and Children. I changed my withholdings this year. Not so much because I don't want the Government to have my money interest free for one year, but because DH has it in his head that we should split the return 50/50, then out of my 50% comes the household expenses and upkeep while he uses his 50% for whatever. That is not to say in the past he has not set aside a portion of the return for savings for planned and unplanned expenses and then split the return 50/50, but even then my share of the return goes to family and bills and his is just for him to play with. This is keeping him from getting a job since we get enough in our return to keep him happy for most of the year. So as of 1.4.2013 I changed my withholdings so more of that money is my paycheck and can be used as needed for the expenses. This years tax return will be the last big return and I intend to use my portion of it to establish a minimal savings account (for emergencies) and the rest to pay a chunk of my credit card debt so I can be that much closer to credit card debt free....
ReplyDelete