I paid $7 for a tiny bag of granola last night. And realized while happily munching it, that I have everything I need to make granola. So, I made some. For less than half that for a big quart jar.
My preferred way to eat it is like cereal with some almond milk.
This recipe isn't an exact thing. You can use nearly anything in it. General rule of thumb is for every cup of "dry", use 1/2 cup of "wet". But, here how I made mine.
In a large bowl I mixed 3 cup rolled oats, 3/4 cup flaked organic coconut, 1/2 cup flax seeds, 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, and 1/4 cup chia seeds.
I then grated 2 gala apples and put them in a pan with about 1 1/2 cups of water, a pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. I simmered this over medium heat until it was pretty much applesauce with some apple 'shreds' left. I then added 1/4 cup honey and 1/3 cup coconut oil. If you don't want to use any oil, just add more applesauce.
Then I mixed the wet into the dry and baked at 300 for about an hour, stirring every 10 minutes or so. You want a golden brown color.
Next time, I'd like to add some dried apples, strawberries, or bananas. Maybe some slivered almonds. You really can put whatever that you like in. You can even swap out the honey for maple syrup or another liquid sweetener. Don't like apples? Try some pear.
But for my quick breakfast needs, this is perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment