Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

February Budget

Well, how's this for transparency? Here's my February budget. It is done in percentages. Why? Well, because it makes me more aware of the money. I like slashing these numbers, lol.

Total Income: 100%

Rent: 33.53%
Car: 6.72%
Geico: 1.90%
Time Warner: 1.82%
NYSEG: 2.73%
Hulu/Netflix: .41%
Squaretrade: .34%
Cell Phones: 2.19%

So, there's our standard, every month, can't be adjusted bills.

Seth: 4.8%
Miranda: 2.4%
House: 3.65%

That's our "spending" money. It's basically the cash we use for discretionary spending. Fun money, stuff for the kids, if I break a dish or whatever. This is also non-negotioable, and a system that works well for us, and gives us each some control over "our own" money. This month, "house spending" goes to cloth diapers and essential oils.

Groceries: 14.6% this month (we're due for a huge pantry restock)
Gas: 6.09%

So, what's left? 18.64% And that goes to pay more on credit cards. 4.11% will pay yet another one completely off. Then we just continue working on down the list.

The issue here is rent, clearly. And we found a place that will save us about $400/month. We move in May.



Now, my budget does need tweaking. We want a maintenance fund. Cash always on hands for vehicle repairs, medical deductibles, and so on. I have seen budgets that separate each little category out ($75 for car, $50 for this, $100 for that) and I'll be honest- I'm not that organized. For me, $2500 in a savings account is all we need. If we need to use it, the next month, we pay minimums on everything until it's replenished.

So, there it is. The last 5 categories will be pulled from the bank, in cash, on Friday. Then there's no way to overspend.


2 comments:

  1. Love the new look of your blog. I need to post my February budget. I know this is going to sound silly, but math and I are not friends. How did you go from dollars spent/allocated to a percentage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill ÷ total x 100
      So, my rent ÷ income leaves a .3353 and so on. X 100 gets the percentage.

      Delete