Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Easy Peasy Black & Beany

Along with the vegan change, I've also gone gluten free. Partly in due to reading "Wheat Belly", a book about the effects of modern wheat on the body. You see, wheat as we know it is a modified crop, and not a great one. In fact, an emerging study confirms the thought that consumption of wheat leads to obesity, diabetes, etc.

My downfall is CARBS. Breads, pastas, pastries, etc. I assumed finding GF replacements for these things would be hard. Well, no. My grocery store carries several lines of gluten free bread products. My favorite so far are Sandwich Petals. They are basically an oval tortilla. Load up half with sammich fixin's, fold the other half over, done. But I've also learned my city has a gluten free bakery. So I'll be headed there this weekend. Eventually, I'd like to make my own breads and such. That'll happen when I sleep more than 3 hours at a time.

I am EXHAUSTED. Two kids is no joke! So I've been relying on some convenience products. And while good, $4.00 for two gluten free vegan veggie burgers is a bit steep. So today I made some. And you can too.

Mash the bejeezus out of two cans of organic beans. I use Goya organic black beans and chick peas. Add in 1/2 cup each of oats (or whatever GF grain you like), flax meal ($1.50 a bag right now at Big Lots), and water. Then spice to your heart's content. I just did a splash of Bragg's liquid aminos and some salt and pepper. But I bet some roasted red peppers, caramelized onion, chipotle, whatever.. would be amazing.

Then just form into patties and fry over medium with the oil of your choosing. I like coconut oil- always virgin, organic, cold pressed.

I had one for lunch, and there's enough stuff for at least 10 more. So, costwise, you're looking at about 22 cents a burger as I made them. Even with some fancy bread, veggies for toppings, etc, it's still a meal for under 50 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment